CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 11, 2008

Alright, just to let everyone know, this blog is going to be a little bit of my rantings, a lot of what I believe, and some of the happenings, as I see them, on the Edge. I am conservative minded, so there may be those of you who do not believe the same things I do. That's OK. I'll forgive you (just kidding). That is your right not to agree with what I say. That's the wonderful thing about this great country I have spent the better part of my adult life defending/serving.

There is a lot of things going on right now that I have thoughts on, so bear with me. I will do my best to get to the majority of them in time.

The first thing I would like to talk about is Steroid use in baseball. Now, I am an avid fan of a wide variety of sports. Baseball happens to be my favorite. There are two things that bug me most about professional baseball. First, why the heck has Congress gotten involved with investigating steroid use in baseball. They have a lot of more important things to worry about (securing our borders comes to the top of my mind, but I will discuss that at another time). I don't understand why they are getting involved in a the "politics" of a game that is meant to entertain us. Supposed to make us dream, as little boys, of doing something that we are passionate about and having fun doing it. Leave baseball alone and let them manage themselves. If someone feels like they have to cheat, then the Commissioner should have the guts to kick them out and not let them play anymore. Congress should not be involved. They are lawmakers, not law enforcers. There are other people for that. Heck, they are not even supposed to interpret the law, that's what the Judicial branch is for.

Second, since I mentioned the Commissioner, how could baseball let this man be the head of the sport. The whole idea of a commissioner in baseball was to have someone who was impartial to decide matters. Someone who wasn't on the Owners' or the Players' side. A neutral party. To say that this man is neutral because he does not own a team, on paper, is ludicrous!! Anyone who knows anything about baseball should agree with this. He signed over his team to his daughter so that he could take the job as Commissioner. This does not sound very impartial to me. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not siding with the Players either. I think a lot of them are a bunch of over paid, whining, babies. But, the Commissioner is supposed to not be on either side. Someone who just months before he took over the job was the owner of one of the teams is not impartial at all.

Just to sum up my thoughts, Congress needs to stay the heck out of sports. Let them decide their own fate. And, to Major League Baseball, if you want to maintain your credibility in the public's eye, then you should have a Commissioner who is impartial, as it was intended to begin with. Having an owner decide matters is not serving the league well at all.

2 comments:

C said...

Welcome to the Blogosphere, Hope's DH!

I agree with everything you wrote about baseball. I think that steroid use is despicable, but Congress getting involved? Don't they have work to do? Gah.

By the way, April cannot come soon enough. I miss baseball season.

Melanie said...

Glad to see you here! And like C, I also agree with your thoughts on baseball. Now I'm just waiting to see if we'll agree on other things. I know we both love that Hope lady, so I've got to say you're pretty high on my list of people that it got it good!