CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

DAYTONA!!!!!

Alright, I have to tell everyone that I apologize because I stated that there would probably be two posts Friday, and, that didn't happen. And, I know I am going a little out of character by not posting anything political in a couple of posts, but, I have to tell you all about the weekend.

First of all, I truly didn't know if I was going to go to Daytona or not until Saturday evening. For those of you who don't know, this year was a big deal because it was the 50th running of the Daytona 500. I got a free ticket, so I was able to go. Now, let me get the griping out of the way. There was no seat associated with the ticket, so, I had to stand throughout the race. The friends that got me the ticket had to be there at 8am so, I was standing or walking the whole time until I got to the car at about 10pm (the race was over around 7:15pm). Which brings me to my next complaint. The people who organize this event seriously need to rethink the whole getting out of there thing. Yes, it took about three hours just to get back to the car. It was a mess.

Now that that is out of the way........

The race was a good one. Typical to the past couple of years, no one truly dominated the race. And if you got caught out of line without any drafting help, you got passed.......a lot. Where we were standing, we were on top of the garage so we had a good view of the cars coming out of turn 4 and through the tri-oval to the start/finish line. I saw all of the cars as they came by on their way to be inspected before the race. And there were several of the trucks that are used to haul the cars (this is also where the drivers change), right across from us, namely, Ryan Newman (who won the race), Kyle Petty, Marting Truex, Jr., and Kevin Harvick just to name a couple. As some of you know, I am a Dale Earnhardt, Jr. fan. So, before the race, while I was wandering around, they let us go out onto pit road and the grass where the logos are painted. Truly an amazing experience. I got to go right up to Jr.'s pit box and see all the tires. As soon as I get some help with the whole blogging thing, I will post some pics, because I got some good ones.

I have to thank our neighbors/friends that were able to make it possible for me to go. They were awesome to think of and include me in this. Especially since they are not race fans themselves.

Overall, I do have to say that it was a tremendous experience. The only thing I truly would change, I would have a seat.

0 comments: