CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, March 7, 2008

Outsourcing and other random thoughts

Alright, those of you who read my wife's blog, Hope From The Edge, have already read about the outsourcing thing. I still can't believe that it took 1 1/2 hours to get that whole thing straight.

For those of you who have not read it, we ordered a new laptop the other day. With going back to school to finish my degree and Paige getting ready to start High School, we decided that it would be a good investment to have something more up to date and that didn't freeze all the time. Well, the day I ordered it, I called the bank to make sure there would not be a problem with payment as we were buying it outright and not financing. They told me there would be no problems. I ordered the computer. The next day, I got a call from the company. They told me my card was declined. So, having already checked the bank online, and seeing that the money was on hold, I called the bank. They told me that the money was indeed on hold and waiting for the actual request of payment so that it could be transferred to the company. So, I called the company back. I was talking to someone from India. After about 15 minutes of asking them to repeat themselves so that I could try and decipher what they were telling me, I started to get even more upset. I asked, as politely as I could, to speak to someone in the U. S. She just kept right on telling me she could talk slower. After about 4 times telling her that I could not understand her, no matter how slow she spoke, I finally got transferred to someone else, who I could not understand either. They finally got me to agree, reluctantly, to give them my card information again so that they could re-run the order. Because, that was the only way they could help me. Now, I read the card information for the lady. Then we got to the security code (you know, those three numbers on the back by the signature block). Mine is a little worn so I told her it would be a second while I angled my card to read it. She immediately asked me again for the security code. I again, a little louder this time, told her it would be a second while I read it. She then proceeded to try and tell me what the security code was and where to find it. To which I interrupted her, yelling this time, telling her I knew full well what it was that she wanted, but, I needed to read it. So, they re-ran my card, and it was approved. I got off the phone, and Hope, my wonderfully smart wife (I am truly NOT being sarcastic, darling, she really is smart), told me to call the bank and make sure there was only one amount coming out. Sure enough, it was charged again. Now, I have twice the amount of the computer on hold at my bank!! I called the company back and proceeded to get transferred all over the world so that I could lodge a complaint and try and make sure I wasn't actually going to be charged twice. Overall, I spent 1 1/2 hours on the phone with these people when the whole thing could have taken half the time if I could have just understood what the heck they were saying to me.

I totally understand the reason behind OUTSOURCING. I don't like it, but I understand it. This is the exact reason why we need to get rid of the IRS and move to the Fair Tax. Corporations find it cheaper to pay the tarrifs to import their products than to pay all the taxes to have them made here. With the Fair Tax, a federal sales tax, there would be less overhead for the companies so they can hire more people here to take care of their products and companies. Plus, the tax would already be included in the price of the product, just like it is now. So, there should be no problems with companies trying to charge more. The price of the products should actually come down, and then the taxes added in so that we actually pay the same. There is also another benifit to this. All of us know, or at least know of, someone who is paid "under the table", and then there are all those people who get their money from illegal means that are not paying taxes because nothing is reported to the IRS. Well, guess what, they would all be paying taxes under this new system so we could totally get rid of Capital Gains taxes and other such things. Nothing is worse than inheriting some money (so I have heard) and then having to pay a bunch of money to the government in taxes. Under the Fair Tax, even the service industry would not have to report their tips and gratuities because there would be NO MORE INCOME TAXES. They would pay taxes when they bought new stuff. Now, before everyone starts getting all up in arms, there is actually a provision that provides a certain amount to be sent out to everyone to offset the cost of the tax due to groceries and such. I feel that this is the way that we need to go to protect our country from being run into the ground by the rich poloticians that are trying to bleed us dry.

If anyone wants more information on this, they can visit www.fairtax.org

0 comments: