CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, November 24, 2008

OPEC and other Random Thoughts

You know, I have never actually looked into OPEC and figured out who, exactly, OPEC was. Well, now I know. OPEC stands for Organization of Petrolium Exporting Countries. It has 12 members. They are Algeria, Angola, Ecuador, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Libya, Nigeria, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and Venezuela. Now, I don't know about you, but I always thought that this was a middle east organization. Little did I know that there were countries in this hemisphere that were members. Venezuela is the one that worries me the most (after Iran, of course). Hugo Chavez is brokering deals with Russia and other communist (or former communist) countries. They are planning on buying military weapons and such in exchange for help in developing their own country. Russia is even going to help them develop a nuclear reactor. If you have been watching the news at all then you know that Chavez hates us. Almost as much as that radical in Iran. So, all of this has been eye opening to say the least.

Now, some other random thoughts.

Let's turn to the auto industry. We all know that they are asking for $25billion so that they can stay in business. Congress is asking for them to come back to the table with a plan as to how they are going to turn their businesses around (in other words, Congress wants more oversight). I have an idea, get Congress the heck out of their business. Stop the idiotic meddling that they have been doing over the last several years. Stop giving foreign companies concessions to import their cars. And give our companies tax breaks for employing local people. (This is where I would normally give the Fair Tax a plug, but, you can read about that and decide for your self here). Let these companies either succeed or fail of their own accord. They have been doing pretty well so far, even with our government messing with them. It is just getting to be too much for them to overcome. I know I sound like a broken record sometimes, but, I can't emphasize enough, everything that the government tries to run has failed, or at least is operating at such a high cost that if it were a private company, they would have failed a long time ago. I mean, look at the list, Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Welfare, even the Military. Why do people in this country insist on thinking that government is the answer for everything? They think that the government needs to step in and make sure these companies are being run properly. They can't even run the things that they are supposed to. How can we possibly expect them to ensure the success of any other venture. More government is not the answer. Less is. The list I gave is just a couple of the ways that government interference has caused the American auto industry to be where they are now. It has nothing to do with the car makers not responding to the public. It is simple economics, if the people stop buying something, make something else. That is what they have been doing form many, many years. That's why other companies have failed. It is why GM, Ford, and Chrysler will continue to operate. Get the government out of our businesses and let people succeed or fail of their own accord. THAT IS WHAT HAS MADE THIS COUNTRY GREAT!!

3 comments:

Krys72599 said...

"Why do people in this country insist on thinking that government is the answer for everything?" you ask.

Because people in this country, lots of them anyway, feel that they are "entitled" to everything for nothing. Why should the car companies be any different? If we're giving money to AIG, why not GM? If Fannie Mae started hitting the skids and the government bailed them out, why shouldn't Chryler let a boatload of money to solve their problems?
I am SO anti-bailout that it's not funny. You know what? No one bailed me out! I had 10 years of college debt to pay off, so I did. I sacrificed here and scrimped there to pay my debt. I had about $12K in credit card debt that I decided to pay off in one fell swoop with my entire savings when J and I decided to buy a house and move in together - I couldn't move into a house he bought for me owing all that money, so I took what I had managed to save and paid my debt. And for the last 13 years, I have had no debt.
We have 2 homes and no mortgages. We have 3 cars, a motorcycle, and a boat and no auto loans. We have paid off college for both children, and they have no debt to pay.
It can be done. It's called "spending what you have and no more."

The Man on the Edge said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Miss Hope said...

"Hell in a Handbasket" is becoming more comfortable than I'd like.

Truly, though? Most people just don't see the whole entire picture. The average American doesn't even know the members of OPSEC and who really hates the U.S.A.

Heck, even military families don't know a portion of this information. What most military families worry about is: Will the spouse be gone for holidays? What will everyone wear for homecoming? Does a jump in rank mean lots more money? (which we both know is untrue)

American citizens are so uneducated in what is truly going on right in front of our eyes. They go about their lives thinking they're safe within our Country's borders. How sad.

We are in more danger now than we have ever been.




*Deleted comment was me. I forgot you were logged in and it came up as your comment. I gotta claim my thoughts, man.