CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 30, 2009

Hypocricy at it's finest

Sorry to be so long between posts, but, rather than just getting information from other blogs and the like, I went straight to the source. I actually read the Bill that the House of Representatives passed two days ago. You know, the one that President Obama (shudder) is trying to shove down everyone's throat. It is 647 pages long, and, if you know me, it takes me a while to read.

So, on with the post.

This morning, I heard on the news, our new President chasitzing Wall Street for paying bonuses. Again, not that I think he is wrong. These people are paying very large sums of money as bonuses when they are taking money from the government supposedly just to keep running. I don't think that that is a good thing.

Now, in the same breath, he is backing (actually shoving) this "Economic Stimulus" bill through Congress. The price of this one piece of legislation (face value) is in the neighborhood of $850,000,000,000. By the time the government pays all the interest it will be well over $1TRILLION. Now, admittedly, there are some tax cuts in there (that's how they tried to get the Republicans to vote for it), but, for the most part, this is the biggest government SPENDING bill in history. They have $200Million just for the National Mall, of which, $20Million will be spent just on sod. What does that have to do with the economy? Or the Millions of dollars that Nancy Pelosi wanted to spend to support contraception. She said it was because it would lower costs. Imagine that, if we don't produce as many babies, then costs would go down. And they say that trying to teach abstinance is archaic.

There was so much garbage in this bill, that I can't even begin to list all of them. But, I know that NASA is getting some of the money for "Global Warming Research", and, NOAA is getting a bunch for some habitat restructuring or something like that. It is just downright ludicrous.

The President said, just the other day, that the government wasn't going to be able to get us out of this recession. That it was up to the individual industries and the working people to pull us out. That was on 28JAN. Contrast that with his comments on 8JAN: It is up to the government to take action to stop the recession and to restore the economic system and we must act now. (I have paraphrased each of these). So, which is it? He made the comments of 28JAN just after speaking with House Republicans about this bill. I know it was to try and show that he was reaching across the party lines. But, that is what should have happened before a bill was before Congress. It should have been an idea born from the efforts of both parties. Not the efforts of one party with a couple of ideas from the other party thrown in for good measure.

I like what Mr. Bartlett told the President during their conference .

Rep. Roscoe Bartlett, R-Md.: "Mr. President, I probably come at this from a slightly different perspective. I remember when FDR beat Hoover in 1932. So I remember the Great Depression very well. I don't remember any of the many government programs affecting the course of the Depression. Government programs didn't work then, I don't know why we think they would work now. Mr. President, I think our obsessive borrowing has fully mortgaged my kids and my grandkids. Now we're working on mortgaging my two great-grandkids. Mr. President, I think it's more than a little bit selfish to try to solve our economic problems which we created by burdening future generations yet to be born."

All of this on top of the President promising to end "Pork Barrel Spending". This bill has more pork than a stuffed pig.

It should say something to the Ruling Party when this vote was taken, NOT ONE Republican voted for this bill. Actually, even eleven Democrats voted against it.

Now we'll see what happens in the Senate.

3 comments:

Miss Hope said...

You seriously read that whole thing?

The Man on the Edge said...

Why do you think it took so long for me to post this?

Busy Texas Dee said...

I think you need to get involved in politics. You would be great at it. You seriously know what is going on. More than most people. I know I would back you.